Wednesday, May 5, 2010

1931: Jane Hildahl Comes Home

.
I answer the phone and a woman’s voice says kindly, “Mr. Hildahl?”

“Yes,” I respond.

“I’m calling to inform you that your wife will be coming home from the hospital today.”

“Thank you very much,” I told her. She said goodbye and hung up.

They told me Jane would be coming home sometime this week. But I didn’t think it would be today. I’m due at the fire station in ten minutes. Normally you have to fill out a request three weeks in advance if you want to change your schedule, and it costs you 10 merits every time… Merits I’ve lost for being late… Three times in the last month. Could I help it that my car wouldn’t start? Or that my clock was set to the wrong time? Now all I can do is hope the Chief is in an understanding mood.  I pick up the phone.

“Operator,” came the familiar voice on the line.

“I would like to speak to Fire Station 28, please.”

“All right. One moment please.”

The phone rings and then: “Hello, Fire Station 28.”

“This is Sidney Hildahl calling.”

“Sidney!? If you don’t hurry up, you’re going to get a demerit!” I recognized the voice of my friend Paul.

“I know, Paul!” I told him what was going on. “I need to talk to Chief Fitzgerald, please.”

“Okay, if that’s what you want,” he said in a sarcastic sort of way. “Chief! Come down here for a second!” he yelled from the receiver. I waited nervously.

“Hello?” said the Chief’s low voice.

“Hello, sir, it’s Sidney Hildahl.”

“Sidney Hildahl!?!? You’d better be here in five minutes, or I will give you a demerit!”

“Um, yes sir. I was wondering if I could have the day off because my wife is coming home – “

“You have to file three weeks in advance for a schedule change!” he yelled into the receiver.

I never had much hope. I mean, this is the guy who made me give him the empty roll of toilet paper before I got a new one. But I stuck with it.

“No, Mr. Fitzgerald, my wife is coming home from the hospital and I am staying home!”  I yelled back. I could almost hear his blood boiling as I quickly hung up.

-- Irene Bowen


Evidence


1931-1943: Sidney Hildahl is listed at 4350 S. Bennett. His wife Jane is listed there until 1935.


Source: Polk's Directories


1931: Sidney Hildahl requests a transfer to Station 28 in Hillman City: "On account of my wife ill health I would like to be transfered to a station nearer my home, so that I could put in more time at home, as she is very nervous and iratable."





Source: Seattle Fire Department personnel records, Municipal Archives

Our information about Chief Fitzgerald came from an impromptu interview with a current Station 28 crew, followed by a telephone conversation with Galen at the Last Resort Fire Department. We were told Chief Fitzgerald wouldn't give you a new lightbulb unless you turned in the burned out one, nor a new roll of toilet paper unless you turned in the empty cardboard tube. Because of strict policies like these, he was known for returning money to the City budget that had been allocated to the Fire Department but not spent. We were also told that he was a great man and an inspiring leader. Irene had to decide how to portray him in her story based on these differing perspectives.



Station 28 used to be on Orcas Street, just four blocks from Sidney Hildahl's home. Photo of Station 28 c. 1916 courtesy of the Rainier Valley Historical Society


Addendum

Another student wrote an entirely different narrative based on this same handful of clues. That there are sometimes many different ways to interpret the scanty available evidence is something professional historians wrestle with all the time -- but rarely do they give their imaginations as much free rein as twelve-year-old Ronny did in this case. Before sharing this story, we want to make it absolutely clear that Ronny wrote it as a creative exercise, not as an attempt to describe actual historical events, and that we have no reason to believe it reflects any reality remotely related to the Hildahl family.

Work and Wife

I was forty years old, and I was tired of work. I wanted a way to get rid of the two things I hate: my wife, and work. I thought long and hard about this, and I came up with a plan. I would slip poison into the coffee that I will make. I will serve the coffee to both of us, but I will “accidentally” drop my cup. She will drink her cup and get very sick. Then I will have an excuse to leave work. She will eventually die, and I will leave work because of “sorrow” and I will be free and live happily every after.

-- Ronny VanderVeen
.

No comments:

Post a Comment